Having six persons on a camping trip is a lot of fun. However, truth be told, planning can be a challenge. Among others, one that you need to think of would be the sleeping area for the group. That being said, the rest of this guide will give you a quick look at five of the top options for the best 6-person tent currently available on the market.
With the tents that will be mentioned below, you will have a comfortable temporary shelter out in the wild. They are known for their superior quality, as proven by the positive reviews from its users. For sure, they can provide the highest level of satisfaction.
Best 6-Person Tent: 2018 Top Picks and Buying Guide
Our Top Picks for the Best 6-Person Tent
Clueless about which tent will be best to fit six persons comfortably? Below are some of the products that should be on your radar as well as the things that make them exceptional.
1. Coleman WeatherMaster 6-person Tent with Screen Room
The mere fact that this is made by Coleman is already enough reason to have it considered over others. After all, the company is known as one of the best brands of outdoor products in the world.
One of the best things about this tent is the spacious interior, providing enough rooms for six people. The size is 11x9 feet. It can accommodate two queen-sized air beds. The best thing is that there is a screen room, which has a size of 9x6 feet. This provides a spot to lounge while being protected from bugs.
Aside from its size, the construction of the tent is also exceptional. It has the WeatherTec System, an exclusive technology that has been developed by the manufacturer. It has inverted seams and welded floors, which allows the tent to get rid of water. There is also an angled window to prevent rainwater from getting inside.
There are plenty of features that will ensure the comfort and convenience of the user. For instance, there is a hinged door that makes it easy to get in and out of the tent. You will also love the interior pockets inside the tent to provide storage for your things. Best of all, the set-up can be completed in approximately 20 minutes only.
- Comes with a screened porch
- Easy to assemble
- Has a lot of room for moving inside
- Rainfly can be thicker
More than the brand name, this tent is known for being spacious and its patented technology that prevents the water from penetrating the tent.
2. OZARK Trail Family Cabin Tent
This is another 6-person tent that should be on your list of choices. One of the best things about this product is that it comes with a spacious interior, which will provide enough room to move around. You won’t feel cramped even if the stated capacity is maximized. In fact, it can fit up to three queen mattresses. For privacy, the tent also has two removable dividers.
It is also an excellent choice if you are looking for value for money. It is affordable, but this does not mean that quality is compromised. Although, you should note that it is not as durable as those that you can find in the higher end of the market. This tent is even made better by the fact that there is an airbed that is already included.
Because this is a large tent, it is also a good thing that there are multiple points of entry and exit. This well-designed tent comes with one door in the center and there are two other entrances.
For the comfort of the users of the tent, it comes with six windows. This will provide not only panoramic views but also increased ventilation for an unrivaled comfort.
- Comes with a free airbed
- Easy to set up and take down
- Spacious interior
- Poles can be easily prone to bending
- Water easily penetrates
This tent is large enough for six to ten people. There are three entry points and six windows. It also has taped seams to prevent water from leaking.
3. NTK Indy GT XL Family Camping Tent
This is another option that is perfect for those who are looking for a spacious tent. The size is 14.2x8 feet, which has more than enough space for six people. The sleeping area is 8x8 feet and the center height is 6.2 feet, which makes it easy to move even when you are inside the tent.
The nano-flex frame of the tent is another feature worth noting. The fiberglass poles are known for being lightweight and durable. The hardware that comes with a tent has double gold chrome plating to guarantee its durability.
Speaking of the materials, the cover is 100% 190T polyester laminated with polyurethane. It is completely waterproof. The coating of the material also offers UV protection to prevent damage that can be caused by the heat of the sun.
The micro-mesh fabric that comes with the tent is also notable. It keeps mosquitoes and insects out. However, there are some people who noted that the tent can be quite hot especially during the warmer months.
- Has a huge vestibule
- Comes with multiple entrances
- Excellent weatherproofing
- Can be hot inside the tent
- Can be a bit tricky to set up for beginners
This tent comes with a spacious sleeping area and a vestibule that can provide a resting area. It is made using a thick waterproof material and durable poles.
4. Core 6-Person Dome Tent
This is one of the most affordable from the tents that are mentioned in this post. Despite this, you can expect that the overall quality is not compromised.
Among others, one feature that makes this exceptional is the H2O Block Technology. Simply put, it is made of an innovative fabric with active bead technology, which allows it to repel water and dry quickly. It also comes with a rainfly that is fully-taped.
The advanced venting system is also worth mentioning. There is an air intake vent that can be adjusted based on the preferences of the user. This means that you will have complete control of the ventilation that gets inside the tent. There is also a mesh ceiling that will allow the hot air to escape.
The gear loft of the tent is also great. This provides a good way to organize your gears. There is even a hook that can hold a lantern. It also comes with an access for an electrical port.
- Has a convenient lantern hook
- Comes with an excellent ventilation system
- May not withstand heavy wind
- Zippers can be more durable
This is an affordable tent with an innovative fabric that repels water. There is also an adjustable air intake and mesh ceiling, which is great when it comes to ventilation.
5. Kelty Trail Ridge 6 Tent with Footprint
If budget is not an issue, this is one tent that you might want to consider purchasing. The tent is roomy, although the floor area is not at par to most of those that have been mentioned in this guide.
One of the unique features of this tent is the stargazing fly. The latter makes it a perfect choice for enjoying the outdoors. It provides an unobstructed view of the night sky. It can also easily be clipped down when it starts raining.
Carrying this tent when you go camping will not be a problem. It is compact, and the materials are lightweight. There is also a bag that is included to keep everything organized. It should also be noted that the tent comes with a cube design, which simplifies packing and assembly.
The tent also comes with the Kelty Connect System, which has been exclusively developed by the manufacturer. This makes it easy even for beginners to piece the tent together.
Lastly, to make it perfect for up to six people, the tent comes with two doors and two vestibules.
- Lightweight construction
- Comes with compact poles
- Provides good ventilation
- Floor area could be better
- Can be prone to leaks
This is an expensive tent that is made of lightweight materials for ease of carrying. The tent comes with a stargazing fly to better enjoy the outdoors.
Essential Factors to Consider when Choosing a 6-Person Tent
As you try to differentiate the options that are available in the market, below are some of the most important factors that should be taken into consideration:
- Size: This is perhaps the most important. The size should be spacious enough for up to six people. This means that there should be room to move around and you won’t end up feeling cramped. Otherwise, you won’t have a good time.
- Doors: For a tent that is designed for up to six people, there should be at least three doors. This means that there will be multiple points for entry and exit.
- Weight: A 6-person tent can be large. However, it is good to choose one that comes with a lightweight design, which means that it will be effortless to bring with you in the campsite.
- Weatherproofing: One thing that a lot of people hate about camping is uncertainty. It can rain in an instant. With this, choose a tent that will keep you dry once you are inside. The fabric should be waterproof and the seams should be welded.
- Comfort: Especially during the summer months, it is important for a tent to have ventilation. One way to ensure this is to have thin fabric but durability should not be compromised. There are also some tents with a built-in intake to encourage air circulation.
- Ease of Use: Most of us do not have the patience to deal with a complicated assembly and takedown of a tent. With this, even if it is large enough for six people, make sure that it is user-friendly. You must be able to complete the assembly and the disassembly without the need to exert too much effort.
How to Sleep Comfortably in a 6-person Tent
Six persons sharing a tent can be too much for some. However, believe me, you can still be comfortable inside as long as you follow the tips that are briefly mentioned below:
- It is important to invest not only in the tent but also in the bedding. It would be best to have an air mattress. You can also bring sleeping bags.
- Another thing that you should do is to pick a strategic location for the tent. A noisy terrain, for instance, should be avoided. The ground should be flat.
- Take note of the weather and be prepared. For instance, if it is the cold season, sleeping bag liners can help to keep you warm.
- The way you dress will also have an impact on your comfort. The right sleepwear will depend on the weather when you are camping.
- Drink tea before going to sleep. Chamomile and lavender teas will be great. They are known for having properties that can make you sleep quicker.
- Mosquitoes and insects can give you a hard time. It is inevitable that they get inside the tent. Be sure to lather up on an insect repellent.
- Make sure that the tent remains dry whenever you are camping. Keep water out so you can sleep comfortably, which is why the tent should be weatherproof.
- Bring earplugs. If you will be sleeping as a group of six people, someone might end up snoring and disturbing your sleep. Earplugs can be your savior!
A lot of people hate camping because they do not have the luxury of a fully-equipped bedroom. However, there is still a way to be comfortable. This is possible by using the 6-person tents that have been mentioned above. They can be the ultimate camping companion of your group, promising a comfortable sleep even outside of your home.
If we have to recommend only one product from those that have been mentioned above, without a doubt, it is the Coleman WeatherMaster 6-person Tent. It is spacious, durable, and user-friendly, among other things.